Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

Doctrine and Covenants 50:22

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

"In Christ Alone, My Hope is Found"

Hola!

It's been a little bit of a rough week but miracles continue! We have a few new investigators and found an awesome less active lady to teach.

Paula is in her 80's and has been married for years to an active member (kind of like Ron Radcliffe!) and she loves her husband and is ready to be sealed in the temple! She has never heard the missionary discussions but she knows a lot and wants to be baptized ASAP! HUGE miracle. She lives in Salt Lake but has a house here in Park City. They spend most of their weekends here, so there records are in this ward. So kind of hard to teach her, but we have special permission to go down to Salt Lake with our senior couple the McMullins to teach her two times a week!

Rachel grew up FLDS in a polygamist family but said she would love to hear the missionary disscussions! A few of her grown kids have been baptized.

Rebecca is someone who has been involved in the church for years and has said in the past she wants to 'eventually' be baptized but doesn't want to be pressured. Well, she has been to church for the last couple of weeks and is coming to General Conference with us and said she is ready to have the discussions from the missionaries!

Lora, our less active member, is the sweetest lady ever and just needs some love and friendship and I am excited that Sister Nelson and I can give that to her. (:

Okay, now for the answers to your questions ;)

  • Send all my mail to the Family Tree Center : 531 Main St., P.O. Box 4620, Park City, Ut 84060
  • Sister Nelson is so sweet and cute and we are getting along great and having lots of fun together! That's so funny that Mariah isn't answering her texts! She should be better at that since I'm not there, whenever she wouldn't answer Brenda's calls or texts, I would get one from Brenda ;) 
  • No, I have not heard from Mariah or Cierra for a while. :(
  • Being at the Family Tree Center is very different because some days it will be slow and I don't feel like a missionary! haha But, at the same time, the slow days are nice because I can do more of my own family history work and I am excited about the promise from Elder Bednar to be more spiritually protected by the spirit of Elijah. (: There are lots of opportunities there with non-members! It's really neat. Just last week we had people from Russia, New York, Georgia, Hawaii, Tennessee, and MESA ARIZONA -their family was from St. Johns (: - and many many more places! 
  • Chat is really fun. We get some really interesting questions sometimes, haha. Sometimes people are just messing with us! But, we also get lots of wonderful opportunities. Just the other day we had some one in Wales searching for her own religion to join. She liked everything about our church but wanted more insight from people other then those who had been raised in the church. We were able to tell her that even long time members of the church have to seek answers for themselves. When we find people like her we are able to get their contact information and keep in contact online and they can become and "online progressing investigator" and we can send local missionaries to them!
  • Park City is a lot different than Cottonwood in a lot of ways. Lots of people in the Salt Lake Valley say that this is a rough place to be a missionary because it's where people in Utah who don't want to be associated with the church go to hide, which maybe is true, but the environment is wonderful. The members of the church are really strong and faithful and very missionary minded. There are many opportunities.
  • The i-pad is an AWESOME resource, but it is quite a development process. We have them now and can use them for teaching in our area. Next we are going through the training process to recive the online area books and records; after that we will add Facebook and other social things but that could be weeks away, maybe months. We don't really know the schedule, just that we will add and add little by little. I can still keep in contact with Sister Coleman and others by email on p-day
  • There is one set of Elders in our district: our district leader and his companion. haha - we call that a "Sis-trict" and the Elders don't work at the Family Tree Center. 
  • There is always one set of sisters at the Tree Center, so whoever is at the Tree doesn't have a car.
  • We live fairly close to the Tree but everything here is spread out. There is just one stake here in Park City, we cover the Park City Ward and the Silver Creek Ward, which is like 15 minutes away! For comparison to the Salt Lake Valley: in cottonwood we were allowed to use 650 miles a month, here we are allowed to use 1700. 
  • The weather is beautiful here, too! I'm so grateful! I came at the right time! 
  • Yes, I got my package, thank you! (:

Well, I titled my email this week with my new favorite song because it's helped me a lot this week. Trials don't go away when you decide to dedicate your life for 18 months to the Lord. Sometimes I'd like to think they do! But, through the Atonement we can work through our trials. I am gratfule for the opportunity I have to understand the Atonement more in my life and find hope through it. I know I can find it in prayer, in my scripture study (which has become my FAVORITE part of the day) and in the example of my mission president, other mission leaders, and always, you, too. I was reading in my patriarchal blessing about how one of the greatest blessings I have is my parents who love me and love the gospel. Even though I am not with you, you continue to be an example and a strength for me. Thank you!

Fun Fact of the Week: Elder Don R. Clarke is in our ward and I got to shake his hand yesterday! He is who did our i-pad training, as well.

For mom: Sister Nelson likes essential oils, too and she showed me this scripture Alma 46:40 - And there were some who died with fevers, which at some seasons of the year were very frequent in the land—but not so much so with fevers, because of the excellent qualities of the many plants and roots which God had prepared to remove the cause of diseases, to which men were subject by the nature of the climate— ;)

For dad: We had a Relief Society activity and a joke was told that I thought you would enjoy: A Relief Society president sits down on plane next to a man and works up the courage to ask him the "golden question"... RS president: Do you know much about the LDS church? Man: Yes, ... a little. RS president: Would you like to know more? Man: YES! I am a stake president and I could use all the help I can get!! ;)

-XOXO, Sister Hatch


No comments:

Post a Comment