Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

Doctrine and Covenants 50:22

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Almost a week down! CRAZY! - September 22, 2014

I arrived at the Murray train station Wednesday at 8 A.M. to be picked up and taken to the mission home! The train ride was so fun because it turned out that Mariah’s best friend Anna and I were both leaving for the field the same day! She was just taking the train to the airport so I got to visit with her the whole time which was awesome!

The transfer meeting was crazy because they had just reorganized a lot of things. I am in the Canyon zone in the Big Cottonwood stake which is the Holladay - Murray area. IT IS BEAUTIFUL!! My trainer is Sister Britton she is 23 years old from Maryland and is the greatest!

My address is: Sister Hatch, 4791 S Kings Row Dr. #22, Salt Lake City, UT 84117 WRITE ME!

It has been crazy because just a few weeks ago Sister Britton and her companion Sister Gilmore were able to baptize all of their investigators, which it AMAZING, but it is a hard time to come in because we are in the process of finding more investigators. But I have already seen so many miracles! Every day! It has been so hard remembering people’s names and getting to know everyone but I love the people so much already. The member support is out of this world. They are all so wonderful and want to help the missionaries in any way they can! We get new referrals every day! The hard part is finding the referrals at home or having them let us in, but just yesterday we were able to meet 2 potential investigators! And, we are teaching two now. Teresa, who I have not met because she just had neck surgery and Dr. Quinn who is the cutest old man ever and is so sweet until you start talking about religion. haha. He introduces himself as a man of science and an “advanced thinker." He doesn't really believe in God but he loves learning and he has ancestors from NORWAY who were members of the church so he likes learning about their beliefs. So we help him understand what his family believed and pray that he will soften his heart so that he will come to know the truth of it as well. Another boy we are hoping to teach is the son of a lady named Sharron was who was just baptized. He is the coolest 15-year-old with the most beautiful long black hair. Mom would be obsessed with him. I also think he would just be the best of friends with Karson. He is in a performing arts school and plays guitar and acts. He is seriously the sweetest boy on the planet. We always have to remind him to not give us hugs. I hope we get through to him. He has a hard time knowing if God is there as well. I can't wait to start teaching more lessons. I love testifying of truth and seeing the spirit work through me. We just taught a lesson to a recent convert last night, a lady named Pippa. We taught the plan of salvation. Teaching things just testifies the truth of it more certainly to me. The spirit was so strong. We taught that lesson at an older member couple’s house. Brother Van Horn is a photographer and loves going down to northern Arizona to take picture of the Native Americans and their culture! I wish you could see his photos. He is amazing! He’s never been to Holbrook so I said he needs to go take pictures of the Petrified Forest! Sister Van Horn reminds me of Sister Barbara Harvey, she is so sweet. So many members here remind me of people I know from home, it is so cool. We also do lots of reactivation, which is neat. So many people still have testimonies but because of little things they don’t want to keep certain commandments so they fall away completely and it’s so sad. But they usually let us in to share a message and they love hearing from us. I feel such deep connections with all the less active members. It has been really special. One less active lady is from Spain and is a cook! Oh my goodness, the way she talks about food makes me feel right at home! Her house looks like you are in Spain, it’s gorgeous! Her name is Karina, she’s in her 50s, she loves the sisters, she calls us her daughters, and we eat at her house every Monday night….. I can’t wait! She says we are welcome as long as we don’t bring up the church. She had a really bad falling out with her ex-husband and the Church. So we just go to serve her and visit with her and pray with her. She is such a special lady. Dad you would just love her.

Mitt Romney lives in my area I walk past his house often. Also I met David Archuleta’s cousin and will be teaching him, his wife, and son in a couple weeks. And I had dinner with Sister Oscarson's daughter. Sister Oscarson is the General President of the Young Women’s General and she spoke at the rededication of the Ogden Temple, which by the way was beautiful! Utah is so great.

I have learned so much in this short week. I had a little struggle yesterday but was able to ask for a blessing from our district leader and I just want to bare my testimony of priesthood power. The lord knows and loves us. He knows our desires and can tell us exactly what we need to hear. He gives us amazing blessings if we choose to follow our Savior. I know that is true. And, sometimes we have to cling to the rod before we can hold fast. But he only asks us to do our best - one step at a time - we will receive a fullness of our blessings and reach our full potential. I know that God lives and that Jesus Christ is my Savior and the Savior of the world. I know that as we turn ourselves outward and help others find truth that we will be blessed. The Church is true. I love you all so much. God loves you. I’m so happy to be here! Talk to you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are doing amazing little Sis! Keep working hard and you will continue to see miracles. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete