Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

Doctrine and Covenants 50:22

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

SLC Missionary Christmas - December 29, 2014

First of all I have to tell you that everyone compliments the warm head band Dad gave me and when I tell them, "my dad got it for me" they look confused and ask me if I have a mom. I say, yes, my dad just has really good taste, also. (:

It was so hard to hang up at the end of the family call on Christmas, but I am doing well and become more and better with each day. The Lord is helping me grow so much. Our Christmas was really awesome. We had a huge dinner donated to us so we could provide for this sweet old lady who said she has no family that comes and visits her on Christmas but when we told the ward council they said her son is the bishop in another ward in the stake and lives really close so we should probably double check on that - turns out she has a little dementia (haha) but it worked out because our investigator Martha really doesn't have family here so we got to spend it with her! It was really fun! She came to church on Sunday, which is huge! She really enjoyed it. Sister Britton and I spoke along with a return sister missionary, so it was perfect for her! It was my first talk so that’s pretty exciting. I got to talk about some of my thoughts from Elder Holland. The biggest take away I got from Elder Holland was that he pled with us to be faithful. He said the true meaning of Christmas is about being faithful. He told all of us "be faithful, be faithful, be faithful!" What if Christ had not been faithful? Without the Atonement, the birth of Christ would mean nothing today. I am so grateful that our Savior was faithful to the end and that we can look to Him as an example of faithfulness. I am so glad you got to see grandma Shirl and hear Colter’s talk. It was a missionary Sunday for sure.

Sister Britton has a huge family (12 nieces and nephews!) so it was a little crazy during her Christmas day phone call, but I did get to just introduce myself and it was really fun. Unfortunately, Christmas night Sister Britton got really sick so we have had a pretty slow week trying to get her feeling better. ;(

An update on my investigators: Ron Radcliffe is still out of town, his wife will call us after the new year and we haven’t been able to see Justin and Kris. They also said to try after the new year. 

My gift to Christ this year is based off of two scriptures: 2 Nephi 25:29 and D&C 4:2 and it is to SERVE and to WORSHIP Christ with all my heart, might, mind, and strength. Also, Moroni 7 is the chapter that Elder Holland said was one of the best in the whole Book of Mormon and that we need to know it, so that is why I used a lot of it. My gift to Christ is also part of my New Year’s resolution. I am really excited about it! 

*   With my heart: I am using the scripture in Luke 2 that says, "and Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart." I am going to identify my relationship with Christ by writing down how I feel Him in my life each day and also by just writing down my spiritual experiences and my struggles daily in my journal so I can keep them in my heart and remember how I felt and what I learned and also "pray unto the father with all the energy of heart" (Moroni 7:48).

*   With my might: I am using the end of 2 Nephi 25:29 that says, "and with your whole soul" because that sounds like might to me and that is my faith. Moroni 7:37 talks about how miracles happen due to our faith, so each day I’m going to note miracles that happen because I had FAITH that they would. Also each day I am going to make sure that I "confess by the power of the Holy Ghost that Jesus is the Christ. " (Moroni 7:44).

*   With my mind: I am using a quote given by President Kimball - we read it in our companionship study everyday: "of all the treasures of knowledge the most vital is the knowledge of God: His existence, powers, love, and promises." And, Moroni 7:19 where it says, "I beseech of you brethren that ye should search diligently in the light of Christ that ye may know good from evil". So, in my studies I am making sure I read the Book of Mormon everyday and finish it by my six-month mark. And, I will read the New Testament every other day - I am hoping to finish by Christmas, and read a General Conference talk every week.

*   With my strength: I am using a quote from Elder Holland’s devotional. Someone asked what advice he would give to a new missionary. He said to "work your head off...,  work harder than you have ever worked before." Each night I am going to report to the Lord whether or not I worked my hardest. And, I will "cleave unto charity" (Moroni 7:46) so I can be more bold.  

Elder Holland talked about God sending babies into the world whenever He needs a problem solved and it really hit me hard that I want to be a teacher and help and inspire God’s children to become what He needs them to be. At the end of Elder Holland’s talk it hit me that that is what I am doing right now! I AM a teacher and I AM helping God’s children to be what he would have them be. What a beautiful and sacred calling. It’s so hard, but I love it and it is so, so, so worth it. I am so grateful for this gospel and the light that it brings. I am so grateful for prophets and apostles who lead us and guide us to be better - to become more and more like our Savior.

I love you so much! I am so, so, so blessed!!

Happy New Year! mwah!


-Sister Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment