Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

Doctrine and Covenants 50:22

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

I love being a missionary at General Conference time! April 6, 2015

Love all the photos! So, in preparation for conference I was reading talks from last conference and there was a talk by Elder Perry about eternal families and I read it with so so much gratitude in my heart because families are such a blessing.

It was so fun to see Vonda and Brea, I also got to see Cynthia and Bishop Stuart! They both said, “Oh, your parents are going to be so jealous!” ;) I was wondering if I would see you guys but just prayed that I could focus and whatever happened would be a good experience. So, Heavenly Father must have known it would be too hard for both of us to see each other. What a wonderful conference. I definitely got some answers and feel uplifted and inspired. Being a missionary is such a sacred calling and its hard work! Sometimes I feel overwhelmed with doing and being enough. I 'm grateful for the guidance I received and know that Heavenly Father is proud of me and just needs me to keep going.

Grandma's party sounds like so much fun! What a sweet family you have. I can just grams cute smile at the celebration. I am glad you got to be there for that. <3

We had a wonderful week. I love being a missionary at conference time because it is so cool that I can receive revelation for myself, but also for the people I am teaching! I am excited to lift and help them through the words spoken at conference. I had lots of inspiration come to me in conference. I know the Lord knows the desires of my heart and I know he is proud of me. I know that relying on the Savior and always marveling at the Atonement gets me through each moment. I know that Godly fear will help me overcome worldly fear and that Godly fear comes from a love for God, and “perfect love casteth out all fear.” I know that Heavenly Father has a hand in my life and he never forgets me. He never forgets anyone. Even when they forget them.

So, when the people voiced opposition to prophets during the Saturday afternoon session, Sister Nelson and I were in the car driving back from the conference center to the home of the members we were going to see the next session. We were listening to conference on the radio and without even seeing it, we could hear what had happened. My heart sank. I got so teary knowing that people go through all the effort to oppose our prophet and apostles who are called by God. But how much hope it gave me when Elder Cook told us that the church has never been stronger. The world is getting worse. We hear that all the time. But what a testimony it is to me that against all of that, the saints are turning to the gospel and being strengthened and our brothers and sisters are being gathered in. 

For the last session we got to bring 4 of our recent converts and an investigator. Our recent convert Philemon from Rwanda sat down in his seat looked around the filled conference center and with tears in his eyes looked at Sister Nelson and I said, "this.. is Christ's church." Sister Nelson smiled and said. "Yes, this is Christ's church". Philemon lost many family members and his fiancé for joining the church. I am so grateful for his example and for a testimony of Christ's restored church on the earth. Sister Nelson and I both think that Philemon will be speaking from that pulpit some day!

Our other recent convert, Gaetano, bore a beautiful testimony to Rebecca, our investigator, about the joy he felt when he was baptized; that it overcame every problem he had, or was currently dealing with, and he has lots of those. He is a recovered heroin addict and had a rough rough childhood. He is still dealing with effects from that, but he says he has never experiences so much joy in his entire life. He told Rebecca, “My advice is to get baptized. Just get baptized.”

We have such powerful members here. Rebecca really enjoyed conference. She loves this gospel, but she too is having a rough go of things. Please keep her in your prayers. 

I loved in Elder Renlund’s talk about the missionary who was having a hard time with his companion. I loved the idea that compared to the Savior we are all pretty much just as imperfect as the people around us. Even though we may be living the gospel, someone who is not, is not so much different. We are all on the same road back home. I really connected with that. That is why I love that scripture in D&C 50 on my missionary plaque back home. 

I am so blessed beyond measure to have been raised and taught, and continually am taught, by my family and friends. I pray for you and pray that I and my future husband will be as rooted In the gospel and filled with the spirit so I can have a home for my kids like the home I had. Dang, do you think marriage was mentioned enough in conference? I was like, “geeze I am a missionary.” haha But, I am grateful to know that families are forever; including my future family, so I don't need to worry about that right now, I just need to worry about helping families here know how they can be forever, too.

Paula had to cancel all of her appointments last week because she was waiting in SLC for her medicine to come and it didn't come all week. She has a respiratory disease and its really keeping her down. She needs lots of prayers. She wants to be baptized so bad, but we had to push the date back to be able to teach her everything. We had a wonderful miracle this week with some less-active people. I love teaching less-active members because so many of them just need love. I can really relate to them and understand some of their concerns and I love just becoming their friend and bearing my testimony of the Savior to them. I made some new friends this week named Guy and Melissa. We had a wonderful discussion last night and shared an Easter message with them. They want us to come back and continue to help them and love them. I love serving a mission so I can give and receive and grow together with those I teach. They teach me, too, and together we can reach our heavenly home.

I am so grateful for Easter. "I know my Savior lives and loves me, too." He loves each of us! Have you seen the new Because He Lives video? Share it with everyone! <3

Love, Sister Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment