Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

Doctrine and Covenants 50:22

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My companion was T-boned by a Semi

I wish I was kidding. . .

Let me start from the beginning.

But before that I just want everyone to know that angels are real and Sister Hill and Sister Isernhagen are alive and well.

So Tuesday Sister Hill and I drove down to Lyman to do exchanges. I stayed in Lyman with Sister Lisonbee and Sister Isernhagen and Sister Hill headed back to Rock Springs.  That night it snowed and the roads were very bad. We didn't think they were all that bad until Sister Lisonbee and I started our drive to Evanston to watch the Worldwide Missionary broadcast and got stuck on I-80, which we found to be closed.

We finally got there about half way through the broadcast and went with the Evanston sisters to go eat lunch after it was finished. Our car in Rock Springs has more miles to spare and so Sister Hill and Sister Isernhagen were going to meet us back in Lyman.

Sitting at the restaurant in Evanston, we get a series of phone calls and find out that Sister Hill and Sister Isernhagen have been in an accident. I immediately broke down. I felt awful because I gave Sister Hill the ok to come because when we checked the roads after the broadcast they looked clear.
So, this is what happened: our district was watching the broadcast from the Rock Springs stake center which is located just outside of a belt loop. After the broadcast they all went to go get lunch. Sis Hill checked the blind curve 3 times before pulling out onto the loop, but as she pulled out an 18-wheeler-semi was coming at an incredible speed. Sister Hill tried her best to pull herself into the other lane but she slid on the ice. The semi driver had the same thought. Both vehicles went to the same lane and Sister Hill’s side of the car, right at her door, was hit head-on by the semi.

The Elders behind said the car flew into the air, slid about 15 feet, and spun twice. They sprinted to the car expecting to find 2 dead sister missionaries, but found both of them sitting straight up and conscious. Sister Isernhagen lost her eyesight for about an hour and both Sister Hill’s and Sister Isernhagen’s neck was hurting, so they both went to the emergency room and each was found to be fine. Sister Isernhagen got her eyesight back and Sister Hill just has a sprained neck and some pulled muscles.
Sister Lisonbee and I went as soon as we possibly could back to Rock Springs to greet the sisters at the hospital.

So, needless to say, it has been an eventful week. We are without a car, so as Sister Hill says, "Rock Springs is now Walk Springs!"

I just want to bear my testimony that God has a plan. The miracles that have come out of this tragedy have been not only miraculous but so eye-opening. God protects his servants and he helps the work roll forward in mysterious ways. I'm so grateful to be a part of this work and feel so blessed for the life I have been given. I don't know why I wasn't in that car when the sisters got hit, but God knows all. Both Sister Hill and Sister Isernhagen have blessings that give specific details that this would happen on their missions and that they would be watched over. What a testimony builder!

This experience has helped our wards grow closer together and has impacted our investigators, so in happy news, cute old man Jim will be getting baptized this weekend, instead of February 13th and Eric has finally picked a date for baptism and is set for February 6th.

I want to thank all of your for your prayers and thoughts. We wouldn't be here with out you.

I love you all! Have a happy week. (:


  1. Wow! Thanks for sharing your testimony! I am so glad you all are OK.

  2. I have the same reaction as Laura- Wow! If you hadn't said they were okay in the beginning of your letter, I would have been really worried.