Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understand one another, and both are edified and rejoice together.

Doctrine and Covenants 50:22

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

"Dessert is on the house for anyone who saves the universe."- family commercial from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - 13 July 2015

WE ARE SAVING THE UNIVERSE HERE IN GREEN RIVER. haha But, really, we have had so many miracles this week!  ~ 13 July 2015

The third sister in our companionship is Sister Masih. She is Samoan but lives in Australia. She was in my first zone and she is our secret weapon! Since she got here we have had miracle upon miracle. We have so many new investigators and SO many people preparing for baptism.

We got to Green River at about 7:30PM  on the day of transfers and got a call from one of the men in the bishopric that there was a couple who want to be baptized. We visited with them on Saturday morning at a members house and they came to church on Sunday; they are preparing to be baptized on August 1st and they are so prepared. And here is the crazy part: turns out, they are Adam Clark’s parents! They aren't really in contact with one another and had no idea that Adam and Gerri have been meeting with us for the last couple of years! But they have been praying that they could find a path so we are so excited and hope this will bring their families closer together.

Gerri and Adam Clark are getting baptized next weekend! Since the day their baptism didn't happen, we have been asking when they DID want to get baptized and they kept putting it off. We prayed about it and felt good about the 18th. So, we went over and asked them to say a prayer and look at a calendar. They both felt like they should do it the 18th. The power of prayer is SO REAL!

Emily Hamilton wants to be baptized the 25th and her daughter Alex isn’t sure. We asked her to say a prayer about it; she was so cute - she said the closing prayer and thanked Heavenly Father for sending us and then said, "now, God, I have a special question to ask, just for me... should I get baptized?" She said, “amen” and smiled. She said, “Usually when I pray, my tummy feels warm ... right now it feels HOT!” (: We told her that what she was feeling was the Holy Ghost telling her she should get baptized. But, she was still worried about the water-by-immersion part. But, as you know, Heavenly Father is always thinking of these things, the monthly stake baptisms happened to be the next day for the 8-year-olds, so Emily and Alex both came! Alex said, “That wasn't scary at all,” and she wants to be baptized with her mom on the 25th!

We have a new investigator, JT. He’s the one who is married to the girl who reminds me of Maren. we went to read the Book of Mormon with him, but he had so many questions about our religion, so we just took an hour answering his questions. He was really impressed by our answers, but I explained to him it wasn't us, it was the Holy Ghost. He said, “There ya go again with good answers!” haha I love their family and am so excited to teach all of them.

We had 8 of our investigators come to church this week, so that was awesome! That is more than I have had my whole mission. This area is so prepared by the Lord. I never want to leave!

So, the spiritual thought of the week: We need spiritual nourishment to be able to keep growing. I know that I am where I am today because of the wonderful examples I have in my life. I am so grateful to be a part of a multi-generational family whose roots strengthen mine. Elder Bednar gave a talk about observing the Sabbath day in our homes and used the analogy of trees. He said the old trees that die strengthen to soil for the new trees so they can grow too. It all starts in the home. Well, it made me think how new converts in the church don't have that. They don't have extra-fortified soil yet. They are starting their own little forest! They need the support of their strong ward family to be able to give them the spiritual nourishment that they need.

I invite everyone to reach out to our brothers and sisters around us. Those that are new in the church and those who don't know their Savior yet: pray for them, help them, and nourish them. They can't do it without you. We all need each other to grow up to be what the Lord intends us to be. I thank you all for allowing me to be a strong tree. I humbly pray my roots can strengthen those that I am teaching here in beautiful Green River, Wyoming. I know that as I do this, and as you all reach out, these people will be able to in turn make OUR roots even stronger!

God is Good.

And, funny moment of the week: we had a combined Sunday School meeting about the official stance of the Church on marriage and it got pretty heavy and Sister Kennah (who was supposed to teach Relief Society - but the conversation went on way too long) raises her hand and, as if to contribute to the heavy comments, says: "I just made chocolates shaped like the Salt Lake City temple and I would just like to pass them out." lol Best comment of the class. XD


-- XOXO, Sister Hatch

No comments:

Post a Comment